Packing Tips for Moving Ann Arbor, MI
How to Pack Like a Pro: Easy Packing Tips
Careful packing is one of the most important tasks in the moving process. How your household memories are wrapped, cartoned, and protected prior to transit can mean the difference between a pleasant moving experience or disappointment on move-in day. Below is a list of packing tips that can make your next relocation experience easy:
General Packing Tips:
- Place heavier items in the lower part of the carton and lighter items in the upper levels.
- Be generous with newsprint cushioning; it absorbs shock.
- Make sure all items are firmly packed in each carton. Loose items may move during transit and cause damage.
- Do not overfill cartons. Make sure the tops close easily without bulging.
- Double tape and use PVC or strapping tape to keep cartons from bursting during transit.
- Use a heavy marking pen. Mark the tops and sides of all cartons.
- List the general content of each carton, and mark the room each carton should be placed in when it arrives (kitchen, master bedroom, etc.).
- Mark fragile items “FRAGILE”.
- For items you will need immediately at your new home, mark “LOAD LAST, UNLOAD FIRST”.
- When appropriate, mark the carton “THIS END UP”.
Carton/Boxes & Use:
- Dish packs (18” x18” x 30”): Double reinforced walls provide extra protection for crystal, glassware, dishes and other fragile items.
- Large (23” x 23” x 20”): For light yet bulky items, such as pillows, comforters, lamp shades.
- Medium (18” x 18” x 16”): For non-fragile items such as pots and pans, games and folded clothing.
- Book (16” x 13” x 13”): Designed for heavier items, such as books and canned goods.
- Wardrobe (24” x 21” x 49”): For clothing taken directly from your closets. A horizontal metal bar allows clothing to remain on hangers throughout the move.
- Mirror/Picture: These cartons are adjustable to provide near custom fits for pictures, paintings, mirrors and other large, flat items.
Do Not Pack:
By law, our movers may not transport hazardous materials such as:
- Paints, Thinners, Oils & Varnishes
- Bottled Gas or Propane
- Lamp Oil
- All Flammables, Explosives & Corrosives
- Motor Oils & Fuel
- Nail Polish Remover
- Aerosol Cans
- Matches, Lighter Fluid
Pack Your Own:
- Check Book
- Address Book, Planner
- Telephones, Telephone Book
- Laptop Computer
- Aspirin, Medications
- First Aid Kit
- Children’s Snacks
- Children’s Books, Toys
- Screwdriver, Hammer, Nails, Pliers
- Medical Records
- School Records
- Birth, Baptismal Certificates
- Marriage License
- Financial Records, Passbooks
- Credit Cards & Records
- Social Security Information
- Documents pertaining to the sale and purchase of homes.
- Receipts needed to be reimbursed for travel expenses.
Check Out Our Other Moving Resources
For more helpful packing tips, contact All Around Moving & Storage at 734-941-2280.